Monday, April 07, 2008

Belgium

We have been in Belgium for five days now and it has rained 4 of the days. We got really lucky though, race day it was supposed to be one of the worst storms in the century and we lucked out - no rain, snow, but just a little wind. Although we had pretty nice weather the cobbles were still wet and some even muddy from the storm the night before. There were so many crashes and because of my crappy positioning most of the day I was behind all of them. One point I had to run up the cobble section cyclocross style and I have to say calves are very sore today (due to the running). It was definitely an epic day for me and one of the hardest races I have ever done and I am very pleased that I finished Flanders. Not bad for my first time, but I hope next time I race cobbles I do a better job! Sorry no race pictures, but I do have some picture from our training ride.

Out my hotel window, architecture much different from Italy. Pretty in it's own way, but if I had a choice I would pick Italy to live/train any day.
Most of these areas are pretty flat, as you can see my the picture, no mountains in the back ground to be seen. Yesterday there were hill, but they were short and steep. This was a break in the clouds, it seems like the weather is constantly changing. One minute the sun is out and the next it is cloudy, gray, and raining.
See how everything is so green...it's because of all the RAIN!!!

P.S. I did hear someone yell "go Carmen" on the Muur, who could that have been? If anyone knows please tell me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was the guy i hired! ;)
em

Anonymous said...

Hey Carmen-
I'm glad you heard me on the Muur. You were looking strong! Tough race.

Chad Strickland